Read the transcript
Transcript of the September 15, 2011 Solari Report: Peter Ireland: Start-up Financing For the Rest of Us
Listen to the MP3 audio file
Download the MP3 audio file
1. Introduction – 0:00 – New blog
2. Theme – 1:16 — Slow Burn & THRIVE – US Dollar Index since the beginning of September has risen steadily pushing through the $76 ceiling, climbing above 77 and now backing down between $76 and 77 – don’t be surprised to see it get as high as $80 during this rally / Fears about whether the Germans and French will hold the Euro together in the face of a Greek bankruptcy / Gold and silver are trading at 1776 and 39.50…that is drop from recent and 2011 highs, but up almost 30% for the year to date. That compares with a stock market that is down for the year and is acting like it has further to fall. / The THRIVE documentary launched its trailer this week – a great time to do so. Whenever the Slow Burn reasserts itself it feels like the financial equivalent of “I can’t believe I at the whole thing.” A delightful presentation on real solutions to jump the curve on unending debasement was most welcome. …
3. Money & Markets – 5:11 — Global unemployment continues to increase political tensions with unemployment claims rising higher than expected in the US and new census data showing US poverty rising again. / Sneaking towards a flat tax? / Cut payroll taxes – is this a good idea? / U.S. retirement programs could look different if a grand deficit-cutting bargain is struck in upcoming negotiations. / Story from Wisconsin / Another reason to avoid Smart Meters: Greek – pay property tax through utilities / The Next Big Primary Trend: Continue to watch what is happening on plane to repatriate funds, extinguish mortgage files; papers vs tangible assets; within tangible – assets that store value vs assets that generate incomes. …
4. Solari Hero – 13:09 — Michael Hart from Project Gutenberg, the first producer of free e-books; runners-up: Tyler Perry and Matt Taibbi
5. Ask Catherine – 15:11 — How money works in Korea / how to map the financial ecosystem of an area / video from Rushkoff / Zero Hedge article on return to the Gold Standard
6. Interview: Peter Ireland – 22:42 – Books – how did he come to write them / Entrepreurship – how learn, how teach? / Business Model – Smart vs Venture / Elasticity of Demand / The Valuation Issue – Royalty Notes / The Control Issue – A/B Share Model / Is Writing a Business Plan such a good idea / Finding the market without capital / State Exemptions / Crowdfunding – because government and law makes it so difficult to buy stock in each others company, easier to gift….
5. Movie – 1:06:59 – Startup.com – a 2001 documentary film that chronicles the dot-com start-up phenomenon and its eventual end. The film follows e-commerce website govWorks and its founders Kaleil Isaza Tuzman and Tom Herman from 1999-2000 as the Internet bubble was bursting. …
6. Interview: Peter Ireland (continued) – 1:08:13 –
7. Up Next – 1:10:54 – Adam Trombly on Zero Point Energy; Third Quarter 2011 Wrap-up; Precious Metals Market Report …
Resources for this week’s Solari Report:
A Solari Report – Independent Media Sustainability: A Review of Existing Media Capital Structures
Term Sheet for Recent Start Up Advised by Catherine using the Solari A/B Share Stock Model
Study on Financial Returns of Angel Investors
Job Growth in U.S. Driven Entirely by Startups
Positioning Your Assets for Growth in Uncertain Times
An Introduction to Solari Circles
Nuts & Bolts of Organizing a Solari Circle
Crowdfunding: Raising Money From Strangers
The President’s American Jobs Act: Fueling Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The White House (8 Sept 11)
Can the Middle Class Be Saved?
The Atlantic (12 Sep 11)
Mapping Your Local Financial Ecosystems
By Catherine Austin Fitts
This Thursday evening on the The Solari Report (6pm PT/9pm ET) I will be speaking with Peter Ireland, proprietor of antiventurecapital.com. and author of The Smart Startup Guide: Creative Financing for Savvy Entrepreneurs Who Need to Launch Their Startups Now Without Venture or Angel Capital and Closing Investors Like a Deal-maker: Your Best Strategy for Successfully Raising Money from Private Investors.
Peter’s Smart Startup Guide is the single best book I have found to teach young or new entrepreneurs how starting and financing a business really works. If capital is a tool that the financial centers use to control, then learning how to build our economy by starting and financing new businesses is part of living free and achieving financial independence.
As economic change accelerates, entrepreneurial skills that can be used in all areas of our lives are invaluable. Peter and I will review how to create a sound business model and bootstrap a new business with as little capital as possible. We will discuss the pitfalls of raising capital and the goals and needs of private investors, including venture capitalists, angel investors and family and friends. Some of my favorite links on entrepreneurship and angel investing are posted in subscribers link section.
I will start with Money & Markets and answer your questions in Ask Catherine. Charts on the US dollar index will be posted in the subscriber section by Thursday.
In Let’s Go to the Movies, I will be reviewing Startup.com, a 2001 documentary that chronicles the dot-com start-up phenomenon. The film follows e-commerce website govWorks and its founders from 1999-2000 as struggle in a sea of economic warfare – from the pump and dump of the internet stocks to a burglary of their offices.]
Startup.com Trailer – Oct 21, 2009
Listen live on Thursday evening by phone, Skype or online, or listen at your convenience by downloading the MP3 after it posted on Friday. If you are calling in by phone, make sure to check out the local access numbers available.
If you would like to learn more about The Solari Report and subscribe, click here .