By Catherine Austin Fitts
During my first internship on Wall Street, I sat in the office of a senior banker as he puffed on his cigar at 8am in the morning. He looked me in the eye and growled, “Kid, if you want to be successful in this world, find yourself a great accountant and a great lawyer.”I am thriving today as a result of taking that advice to heart.
This week on The Solari Report, I will be speaking with Patty Kemmerer. Patty is a member of Kemmerer Schooley Smith, CPAs in Northern Virginia. Patty has over 25 years of experience working with tax issues for a wide range of businesses, not for profits and individuals. She is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Virginia Society of CPAs, and the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts. Having worked with her for many years, in my book, she is a “great accountant.”
Patty and I will discuss US individual and small business taxes for 2013 and 2014, focused on steps for you to consider before year end. Topics include:
- The Affordable Health Care Act (ACA);
- Accelerating earned income, investment income and deductions into 2013;
- Non-business energy credits;
- Year-end giving and retirement plan contributions;
- Health savings accounts (HSA)
- For businesses: Section 179 expensing, increasing basis in S-Corps, and expiring provisions.
- Delay in 2014 filing, IRS warnings and red flags.
In Money & Markets this week I will discuss latest trends in the financial and commodities markets.
In Let’s Go to the Movies, I want to revisit a favorite, The Name of the Rose, in light of recent events announced by the Vatican, promoting transparency and hiring a independent accounting firm, as well as the subsequent US announcement to move its Embassy to the Holy See out of Vatican City.
Talk to you Thursday!